If you are a gamer, then you are probably using Discord as it is a popular VOIP app. With the help of this app, you can do voice, video or even text chats with other people. However, it is reported showing problems lately. A lot of users complained that Discord is not connecting for them.
Users see the initial connecting screen and it stops there. They never get past that. And this problem is showing despite having a proper internet connection.
This problem can arise because of using third-party antivirus software especially McAfee. Or some applications in your system can conflict with Discord and that leads to the connection issue.
Incorrect time and date settings can also lead to this problem. If you are using a proxy server, then you might encounter this issue as Discord is based on a User Datagram Protocol.
Whatever be the reason, Discord not connecting can be annoying and you need to fix the situation at the earliest.
Discord Not Connecting: Fixes to Try
Here we have discussed a few simple fixes to resolve the Discord connection issue. Therefore, follow the solutions to fix the problem permanently.
Solution 1: Check the Date and Time Settings
It is possible that you have not selected the automatic date and time settings on your Windows 10 computer. Because of that, you might face the Discord connection issue. So, you need to check the settings for date and time and for that,
- First, close Discord. For that go to the bottom left of the taskbar to click on the “Show Hidden Icons”. Then, make sure to right-click on the Discord and followed by the “Close Discord” option.
- After that, launch the time menu and then enter time.
- Head over to the Search Results to click on the “Change the date and time” option.
- Then, check whether the toggles for “Set the time automatically” is turned on or not. Also, make sure that “Set the time zone automatically” is turned on.
- Now, you need to launch Discord again and you will hopefully find that the problem is resolved.
Solution 2: Turn Off the Browsing Protection
The antivirus feature has a browsing protection option and this feature can lead to Discord issues. If you are using the F-Secure Safe feature, then make sure to turn it off. If you don’t know how to turn this feature off, then go through the steps mentioned hereunder.
- At first, launch the F-Secure Safe and then click on Browsing Protection.
- Go to the top right corner to toggle off the “Browsing Protection” and then click on OK.
Solution 3: Change the Network Settings
Sometimes the internet or the proxy settings can be incorrect and that leads to the Discord not connecting. Changing the proxy settings can fix this issue and for that perform the following steps.
- First, press and hold the Windows key and I key at the same time on the keyboard.
- Next, click on “Network and Internet” followed by Proxy.
- Scroll the mouse to toggle off the “Use a Proxy Server” option.
Solution 4: Change the DNS Settings
If you are not configured with the correct DNS Settings, then the Discord might not be able to make a secure internet connection. At that time, just reconfigure the settings and for that, go through the steps mentioned below.
- First, launch the Run prompt by pressing the Windows and R key at the same time on the keyboard.
- After that, enter “ncpa.cpl” and then hit the Enter button.
- Now, right-click on the connection that you are using followed by the Properties option.
- Thereafter, double-click on “Internet Protocol Version 4 or the IPV4”.
- Next, check the “Use the Following DNS Server Addresses” option.
- In the “Preferred DNS Server” option, enter “18.104.22.168”. For the “Alternative DNS Server” option, enter “22.214.171.124”.
- Now, save these settings by clicking on OK and next try to chat on Discord and the issue should be solved.
Solution 5: Disable the Antivirus
Temporarily disabling the antivirus can fix the ‘Discord not connecting’ issue. You can even uninstall the antivirus to resolve this issue. It is possible that you want to keep the antivirus software running. In such cases, check whether Discord is in the whitelist or not and then run Discord again.
Allow Discord to Run Through Firewall
- Go to the Search box and enter ‘firewall’.
- Then click on the “Firewall and Network Protection” option followed by the “Allow an app through firewall”.
- Now, select Change Settings and then make sure to tick on Discord.
- After that, you need to click on OK.
Solution 6: Run a Scan of the Malwarebytes
Because of the Malwarebytes, you might come across this issue as it might stop you from connecting to Discord. After downloading Malwarebytes make sure to run a full system scan.
When you get Malwarebytes installed, open it and click on Scan. Wait for a few minutes until the scan completes. If any malware is found make sure to quarantine it. Finally, restart the PC to check whether the issue is fixed or not.
You can even add an exception for Discord in the Malwarebytes. To do so, perform the following steps.
- First, click on Malwarebytes to open the application.
- Thereafter, navigate to Settings to click on the Exclusions tab.
- Now, head over to “Add an Exclusion” and choose “Exclude a website”.
- Next, click on OK to confirm the changes that you made.
Solution 7: Change the Server Region
Sometimes, you might find that Discord is stuck as it is unable to connect to the voice channel. Changing the region of the server can fix this issue and for that make sure you are the admin of the server.
- First, open the drop-down menu by clicking the drop-down arrow beside the name of your server.
- Navigate to the drop-down menu to choose Server Settings.
- After that, click on Server Region followed by another server region.
- In the end, click on the Save Changes option to save the changes that you made and then try to reconnect the server again.
Hopefully, applying the above solutions appropriately will help you to fix the Discord not connecting issue without any hassle.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How to fix the Discord connection?
Ans: You can fix the Discord connection by performing the following instructions appropriately. You can restart the device router and check the firewall. Make sure to update the Discord app. If you are not the network admin, then you will not be able to connect on networks at school, college, and any company’s network.
2. How to block Discord?
Ans: Most of the time, Discord users are blocked from sending direct messages to other users who are not on the friend list. Users can block individuals on specific servers to pull up their profile. To do so, click on the three dots on the username and then select the block option.